I got an e-mail this morning from someone who saw my post on Twitter about using LDAP on the iPhone here at Duke. The person said they followed the tutorial but couldn’t quite get it to work. So I figured it may be useful to post a few quick instructions on setting it up. As the post on Twitter explains, the basic instructions for getting to adding an LDAP account can be viewed here and Duke’s LDAP server settings can be found here. Once you are set to add the LDAP account, simply set the server to ldap.duke.edu, no need for a username or password. Once you click next you will want to turn off SSL and change the Search settings for duke,edu to have a base value of “ou=People,dc=duke,dc=edu” (leave the scope at subtree). And that’s it. To use it, which turned out to be the issue for the person emailing me, go to write a new email and start to type in the name of the person to search. You should see a throbber show up at the top of your screen, showing that it is connecting to the server. There is a bit of a lag but it should eventually return the contacts for people by that name. Below are some pictures of the settings and the search. Let me know if you run into any issues.